Here is a quick look at highlights from my resumé. Much more available upon request. See additional information on my About Me page.
Creative Director, Advanced Content®/Red Barn Media Group • 2009–Present
• Manage all creative aspects of content marketing and brand journalism business. Design and produce all products from concept to distribution. Manage digital assets from client websites to social media. Manage and hire freelancers. Conduct and direct photo shoots.
Managing Editor, The Progressive Farmer magazine • 2008–09
• Served as a creative influence on all aspects of the magazine and created designs for special sections and cover stories. Managed InDesign templates, created and maintained style sheets for copy and visuals. Ran “set size” meetings and produced bookmap for the national version of the magazine working with Advertising Production Manager. Worked as part of the production flow doing top edits and color/blueline checks. Consulted and made purchase decisions on editorial technology. Served on cross-platform web team for new corporate parent DTN. Managed web content for co-branded editorial web site with parent company (dtnprogressivefarmer.com).
Senior Editor, The Progressive Farmer magazine • 2002–08
• Hired freelancers and managed budget for garden and food stories. Shot and art-directed photography. Served on redesign teams through three redesigns and repositioning of the magazine in the lifestyle market. Responsible for the “Best Places in Rural America” program. Designed, wrote and edited the up-front section of the magazine, “Over the Fence.” Wrote content and top-edited freelance and staff-produced content.
Editor, ProgressiveFarmer.com • 2000–02
• Designed, edited and wrote content for the Web site. Worked with assistants to produce content for third-party sites. Managed third-party content providers. Worked with Information Technology department through redesigns, server changes and the Time Warner/AOL merger.
Editorial Coordinator, The Progressive Farmer magazine • 1998–2000
• Served as “right hand” for the Managing Editor. Led Web efforts.
Multimedia Designer, The Progressive Farmer magazine • 1996–98
• Designed and edited Web sites. Worked with art department on magazine content.
• Worked with corporate web group after I was hired at The Progressive Farmer to build and launch the first Web sites for Southern Living and Coastal Living magazines.
Design Assistant, The Progressive Farmer magazine • 1995–96
• Designed and developed print and electronic pages for custom publishing ventures.
University of Alabama
Instructor, Journalism Department • 2014-15
• Teach senior- and graduate-level courses in online journalism and design as an adjunct.
Jacksonville State University
Instructor, Communication Department • 1998–99
• Taught senior-level courses in online journalism and design as an adjunct.
• Served as consultant on hardware and software purchases.
Southern Progress Corporation Design Internship • 1995
The Chanticleer, Jacksonville State University’s student newspaper
Editor in Chief • 1994–95 Managing Editor • 1993–94 Features Editor • 1992–93
Freelance writer, editor and designer • 1999–2008
• Produced articles for Homestore.com’s Home Theater department, 1999–2001; book and entertainment reviews for local newspapers (2003–08). Redesign/restructuring consultant for Business Alabama magazine (2005). In-store promotions (signage, catalogs and magazines) for Books-A-Million (2005–06).
M.A. in Journalism, University of Alabama
• Outstanding Graduate Student, University of Alabama, 2011
B.A. in Communication (Minor in English), Jacksonville State University (JSU)
• Magna cum laude with special honors in Communication
• John C. Turner Outstanding Graduate in Communication, 1995
• Stanford University Professional Publishing Course, 2006, 2008
• Various workshops on company, local and national levels in management, multimedia topics, journalism and design, including extensive media training
Awards and Honors
• Top Social Media Campaign (on behalf of Advanced Content clients), American Agricultural Editors Association (AAEA), 2013
• Writer of the Year, AAEA, 2013
• First place publication, National Agri-Marketing Association, 2013, 1999, 1998
• Designer of the Year, AAEA, 2012
• Top Paper, American Journalism Historians Association, Southeast Symposium, University of Alabama, 2012
• Writer of the Year, AAEA, 2010
• Ozzie Award, Feature Design, FOLIO, 2009
• Two National Finalists, Feature Design, American Society of Business Press Editors, 2009
• Top 25 Feature, Tabbies International Editorial and Design Awards, 2009
• Andy Markwart Horizon Award, American Agricultural Editors Association (AAEA), 2007
• Master Writer recognition, AAEA, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010
• ProgressiveFarmer.com: Bronze Award, American Society of Business Press Editors, 2000
• ProgressiveFarmer.com: Award of Merit, National Agri-Marketing Association, 1997, 1998
• Society of Professional Journalists National Mark of Excellence Award, 1995
• Alabama Governor’s Award: Outstanding broadcasting, presented by Fob James in 1995
• Outstanding Society of Professional Journalists (SPJ) Graduate, 1995
• SPJ Regional Mark of Excellence Award: First place, radio news, 1994
• Associated Press: Best News Reporter, 1994
• Southeastern Journalism Conference: First place, feature story; First place, radio news, 1994
Additional Activities and Volunteer Work
• Member, Institute for Communication and Information Research Board, University of Alabama, 2014
• Panelist and speaker, AAEA National Convention, 2014
• Panelist and speaker, Federal Trade Commission hearings on native advertising, 2013
• Guest lecturer, University of Alabama, 2012-13
• Judge, Folio Ozzie Competition, 2012-13
• Design Committee Chairperson, AAEA, 2006–2008, 2012; Co-chair, 2009-11
• Instructor, Magazine Publishing, Alabama Governor’s School, Samford Univ., 2001–2014
• Alabama Governor’s School Board of Directors, 2008–present
• Local and national television appearances on behalf of The Progressive Farmer, 2005–2007
• Elected to Board of Directors, AAEA, 2007
• Digital Future (Editorial Technology) Committee Chairperson, AAEA, 2009
• Jack Farr Scholarship Committee, 2006; Committee Chairperson, 2007–present
• Keynote speaker, JSU Awards Banquet, 2000
• Panelist and speaker, AAEA National Convention, 1996
• Panelist and speaker, SPJ National Convention, 1996, 2005, 2006
• JSU SPJ chapter: President, 1993-94; Vice Pres. & Organizer, Regional Conference, 1994-95; Secretary, 1992-93; National Convention Delegate, 1993-95
• JSU Holocaust Commemoration Committee: Public relations chair,1992-95